Banana Cornmeal MuffinsDon't be afraid to use an overly ripe banana is this recipe. It will actually make the muffins taste even better, since it has developed its full fruit sugar. These muffins are ideal for breakfast and make a good lunchbox treat.
Makes 8 muffins.
- 1 very ripe banana
- 1 egg
- 1/2 c buttermilk
- 1 Tbsp melted margarine or butter
- 1/2 c corn meal
- 1/2 c all purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F and grease 8 muffin cups with shortening or butter.
- In a large bowl, mash the banana with a fork until it is smooth.
- Lightly beat in the egg.
- Stir in the buttermilk and melted margarine.
- In a medium bowl, blend the corn meal, flour, brown sugar, cardamom, baking soda, and salt.
- Stir the cornmeal mixture into the wet ingredients until well incorporated.
- Spoon the mixture evenly into the muffin tins and bake for about 15 minutes, or until the muffins spring back when lightly pressed on top.
- Cool 5 minutes before loosening the edges and turning out onto a cooling rack.