If you love Grape-Nuts cereal as I do, you will enjoy learning how to make your own Grape-Nuts at home!
- 1 1/2 c milk
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp melted butter
- 2 Tbsp molasses
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp maple extract (or more vanilla)
- 3 c whole wheat flour
- 3/4 c raw wheat germ
- 1/2 c brown sugar, packed
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and butter a large baking sheet.
- In small bowl, mix milk and lemon juice together. Allow to stand and curdle 15 minutes.
- Add melted butter, molasses, vanilla, and maple extract.
- In large bowl, whisk together flour, wheat germ, brown sugar, baking soda and salt.
- Add wet ingredients and blend well.
- Spread dough evenly on the prepared baking sheet. Bake 15 minutes. Cool briefly. Reduce oven temperature to 300 degrees F.
- Crumble the baked mixture between your fingers into a large bowl.
- Butter 2 baking sheets and distribute grape-nuts over the two sheets.
- Brown in oven 25-30 minutes, turn over grape-nuts and rotate/switch pans on racks. Bake another 25-30 minutes, or until crisp. Serve with milk or cream.