Flax Seed Waffles
This recipe is designed for a stovetop waffle iron. If using an electric iron, follow Manufacturer's recommendation for preheating, oiling, and cooking times.
Makes 5 large waffles.
- 1 c unbleached all purpose flour
- 1 c whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 5 Tbsp vegetable oil (plus extra for oiling iron)
- 1/2 c soy or dairy milk
- 3 Tbsp whole flax seeds
- Preheat top and bottom of the waffle iron on medium low.
- Sift together into a large bowl: all purpose flour, whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Blend well.
- In a smaller bowl, beat the eggs with a rotary egg beater or whisk. Add oil and mix.
- Add the egg mixture and milk to the dry ingredients and stir with a wooden spoon only until incorporated. (Do not over-mix.)
- Fold in the flax seeds.
- Oil upper and lower plates of the waffle iron well, covering all the nooks and crannies.
- Drop batter in the center of the iron by 1/3 cups. Cook about 4 minutes on each side. Use fork around edges to dislodge. Serve hot with maple syrup.