This tasty dish is a complete meal, with plenty of protein, minerals and vitamins. However, it is extra nice when served with a baked potato or freshly baked bread.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (15 oz) can diced tomatoes with liquid
- 1 tsp dry oregano
- 1 tsp dry parsley
- 1/2 tsp dry rosemary
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb (16 oz) eggplant
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 (15 oz) can chickpeas, drained
- 1 (10 oz) bottles mushrooms
- 6 oz vegan or dairy melting cheese, sliced
- In a two-quart or larger pot over medium low heat, warm the one tablespoon of olive oil. Add onions and bell pepper. Sauté about 3-4 minutes. Add garlic and sauté another minute.
- Pour in the diced tomatoes with their packing liquid. Add oregano, parsley, rosemary and salt. Stir well.
- Bring to a simmer, reduce heat, cover, and simmer 10 minutes.
- Remove from burner and set aside.
Casserole and Final Steps:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Leaving the peel on, cut the eggplant(s) crosswise in 1/3 inch slices. If slices are large, cut them in semi-circles.
- In a large heavy skillet (working in two batches) or on a large griddle (working in just one batch), oil the surface well. Add the sliced eggplant, sprinkle with salt, and grill them about 4-5 minutes on each side, or until tender and browned.
- Place eggplant in an 11 x 7 x 2 inch baking dish. Distribute evenly. Top with a layer of chickpeas.
- Drain mushrooms and add them in a third layer.
- Pour the sauce evenly over the casserole and arrange cheese slices on top.
- Bake uncovered for 20 minutes; serve hot or warm.