Texas Style BiscuitsThese are big, Texas style fluffy biscuits. They are a perfect base for our Creamed Spinach (with Ham TVP) recipe. Be sure to use baking powder that is aluminum-free. The cream of tartar really is necessary for obtaining the perfect texture.
Makes 5-6 large biscuits.
- 2 c all purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 4 Tbsp butter, melted
- 2 Tbsp vegetable shortening, melted
- 1 c milk
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. and lightly butter or spray biscuit pan.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, cream of tartar, sugar and salt well.
- In a separate bowl, blend the melted butter and shortening with the milk. Mix the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients barely enough to incorporate.
- Turn out on a floured board. Sprinkle flour on top, and form a 3/4-1 inch thick shape. Cut with a 3 inch biscuit cutter. Reshape the scraps and repeat.
- Place close together in the pan and bake about 17 minutes, turning the pan around once. Serve hot or cooled.