Soft Sandwich Bread
Whether you make this bread in a stand mixer with a dough hook, or knead it by hand, this soft bread will prove easy to make.
Makes 2 large loaves.
- 2 1/4 c warm water
- 1 Tbsp active dry yeast
- 1 Tbsp malt powder
- 1/2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 egg yolks
- 6 c unbleached all purpose flour (may substitute up to 3 cups whole wheat flour)
- 1/2 Tbsp salt
- Place the warm water in a large bowl. Whisk in yeast, malt, oil, and egg yolks until well-incorporated. Allow to stand 5 minutes, or until bubbly.
- Add salt to the flour. Gradually add salted flour to the yeast mixture. Knead by hand or with a dough hook on your stand mixer for about 4 minutes.
- Working on a lightly floured surface, form dough into a soft disc. Place in a lightly oiled large bowl and cover. Allow to rise in a warm place for 1 hour, or until doubled in volume.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F and lightly grease (2) large loaf pans.
- Divide dough into 2 equal pieces; roll each into a tight loaf shape, sealing seams. Place in prepared pans and cover loosely. Allow to rise another 20 minutes, or until up to the top of the pans. (Dough will continue to rise in oven.)
- Bake in the center of the oven for 25 minutes. Remove from pans and place on cooling rack. Slice when completely cooled