Parkerhouse Wheat Rolls
These rolls are buttery, light and fluffy. They are a nice accompaniment to lentil soup or any special vegetarian entree.
Makes about 2 dozen rolls.
- 2 tsp instant or active dry yeast
- 4-5 Tbsp butter (divided use)
- 3 Tbsp unsulfured molasses
- 1 c warm water
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 c plain yogurt
- 3 c soft white whole wheat flour
- 1 3/4 c all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 Tbsp vital wheat gluten flour
- 1 tsp salt
- In the large bowl of a stand mixer, place the yeast, 2 tablespoons of the butter, molasses, and warm water. Using a dough hook, mix lightly and allow to stand 10-15 minutes.
- Beat in the eggs and yogurt on low.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the whole wheat flour, all purpose flour, gluten flour and salt.
- Add 3 cups of the flour mixture to the yeast mixture and beat on low until incorporated.
- Gradually add the remaining flour mixture, by half-cups, mixing after each addition.
- Beat on medium low for 5 minutes. Dough will be soft and somewhat sticky.
- Place dough in an oiled bowl, oil top of dough, and cover it. Place in a warm place for an hour or until doubled.
- Melt the remaining 2-3 tablespoons of butter, and set aside.
- Line a full sheet pan or 2 half-sheet pans with parchment paper and set aside.
- Deflate and place dough on a floured surface. Fold over a few times, adding a bit more flour to the work surface and the top of the dough.
- Using a rolling pin, roll the dough out until it is 3/8 inch thick.
- Cut a circle of dough with a 3-inch biscuit cutter. Lightly score the circle in two semi-circles, slightly off-center. Brush top with the melted butter. Fold larger half over the other half along the scoring. Place on the prepared baking sheet(s).
- Continue this process until all the dough is used, rolling out scraps until you have made about 24 rolls. Rolls should be placed an inch apart.
- Cover the rolls loosely and place in a warm spot for 30 minutes, or until doubled, preheating oven to 400 degrees F during the end of the rise.
- Bake 10-15 minutes, or until lightly browned. Remove to a wire rack to cool.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.