Just Right Sandwich Bread
This bread requires very little kneading and no expensive stand mixer. The whole wheat flour, brown sugar and malt powder give it a rich flavor.
Makes 2 large loaves.
- 5 c all purpose flour (divided use)
- 3 Tbsp brown sugar, packed
- 1 Tbsp diastatic malt powder
- 2 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 tsp active dry yeast
- 2 1/2 c warm water (105-110 degrees F)
- 1/4 c vegetable oil
- 1 c whole wheat flour
- In a large bowl, whisk together 3 cups of the all purpose flour, the brown sugar, malt powder, salt, and yeast.
- Using a wooden spoon, add the warm water and vegetable oil, stirring until well-combined. Allow to stand 10 minutes.
- Gradually stir in remaining 2 cups of all purpose flour and 1 cup of whole wheat flour.
- Scrape dough onto a floured board and knead a minute or two. Do not overknead!
- Lightly grease a large bowl and add the dough. Flip over to grease top. Cover and allow to stand 1 hour or until double in volume.
- Transfer dough to a floured surface. Fold over a few times, being careful not to overwork the dough. Cut in half, and form each half into a loaf shape.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place dough loaves into greased loaf pans. Cover loosely with wax paper and allow to stand 20 minutes, or until the dough is slightly crested over the top of the pans.
- Bake 30 minutes, or until browned on top and bottom. If a softer crust is desired, butter tops of loaves while hot.
- Cool completely on rack before slicing.