Japanese Milk Bread
This bread is mildly sweet like Hawaiian bread, and has the texture of a sweet roll base. Great plain or with honey butter or lemon butter!Makes 12 rolls.
Tangzhong (Flour Paste):
- 1/4 c all purpose unbleached flour
- 1/2 c water
- 4 1/2 c all purpose unbleached flour
- 1/4 c sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp active dry yeast
- 1 Tbsp instant dry milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 c milk
- 4 Tbsp butter (room temperature)
- 1 large egg
- 2 Tbsp milk
- Heat flour and water over low heat, stirring until a smooth paste forms.
- Refrigerate until cool. (4-6 hours)
- In large bowl, whisk together all purpose flour, sugar, salt, active dry yeast, and dry milk.
- Mix together the egg, milk, butter, and tangzhong until smooth and uniform.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ones, mixing or kneading until a smooth dough forms.
- Cover and allow to rise one hour, or until roughly doubled.
- Divide in 12 equal pieces. Roll into balls.
- Use a rolling pin to roll each into 5-6" oval, fold in thirds, then fold in thirds the opposite direction.
- Place 4 rolled balls into a small (8 x 4 x 2 inch) ungreased loaf pan (you will need 3 such loaf pans.)
Egg Wash and Baking Process:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cover loaf pans and let rise 30 minutes.
- Whisk together the egg and milk to make egg wash.
- Brush the top of each roll.
- Bake 10 minutes, turn pans around, and bake another 10 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Cool in pan 30 minutes. Remove rolls from pan and serve warm.