This steamed seitan is great sliced in sandwiches, but also good browned and used in casseroles and other vegetarian recipes.
Makes 4 small rolls of sandwich meat.
- 1 1/4 c hot water
- 1/4 c low sodium soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 Tbsp ketchup
- 1 Tbsp vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 c vital wheat gluten
- 1/4 c chickpea flour (besan)
- 1/3 c nutritional yeast
- 2 tsp marjoram
- 2 tsp basil
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp granulated onion
- In a small bowl, mix the hot water, soy sauce, vegetable oil, ketchup and Worcestershire sauce.
- In large bowl, whisk together the gluten, chickpea flour, nutritional yeast, marjoram, basil, paprika, onion.
- Pour the liquid ingredients into the large bowl of dry ingredients and blend well. Knead 2 minutes. Allow to rest 10 minutes.
- Divide dough into 4 equal parts and roll each into a small log. Wrap each log in foil, folding ends over and allowing some room for expansion.
- Place foil seitan rolls in a steamer above an inch or two of boiling water. Cover and steam 30 minutes.
- Remove from steamer and leave in foil for 30 minutes. Unwrap and slice or cube as desired. Any unused portion should be wrapped and refrigerated or frozen.