Corn Tortillas from Grits
Makes 8 tortillas.
- 1 c instant corn grits
- 1 c all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 c vegetable oil
- 2/3 c warm water
- In a large bowl, whisk together the grits, flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add oil and water. Blend with a fork until incorporated.
- On a lightly floured surface, knead the dough 5 minutes. Place dough back in the bowl and cover. Refrigerate overnight, or at least one hour.
- Break dough into 8 equal portions. Roll each between your palms into a ball. Using a rolling pin on a floured surface, roll each dough ball into a thin 8-inch tortilla.
- Preheat a griddle or large skillet on medium setting. Bake each tortilla (without oil) for a few minutes, flipping over once or twice until there are brown spots on both sides. Remove to a platter.
- If not using immediately, cool completely and store in a tightly sealed container for up to 3 days. Reheat on a hot griddle or skillet for a minute or two before use.