Buttermilk Corn Bread
This recipe does require an 8-inch cast iron skillet. It produces mildly sweet, fluffy, moist corn bread.
Makes 6 large slices of corn bread.
- 2/3 c all purpose flour
- 1/3 c yellow corn meal
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 2/3 c cultured buttermilk
- 1/3 c water
- Place an ungreased 8-inch cast iron skillet in the oven and preheat it to 400 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, corn meal, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Add vegetable oil, egg, and buttermilk. Blend well. Add just enough of the water to make a pourable, cake-like batter. Blend well.
- Remove the skillet from the oven and brush it with a teaspoon or so of butter, covering the sides as well as the botton.
- Pour in the batter and bake 15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the thickest part comes out clean.
- Cool in pan. Serve warm or at room temperature.