In a pinch, and have no buns for sandwiches or burgers? Here is an easy fix!
Makes 8 medium buns.
- 1 1/4 c warm water (110 degrees F)
- 2 Tbsp active dry yeast
- 1/4 c vegetable oil
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3 1/2 c all purpose flour
- 1/4 c sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- In a medium bowl, mix the warm water with the yeast. Allow to bloom 5 minutes.
- Stir in the oil and egg until well-incorporated.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar and salt.
- Add the yeast mixture to the flour mixture and blend until a soft dough forms.
- Turn dough unto a lightly floured surface and knead 3 minutes, or until smooth and flexible.
- Divide dough into 8 equal pieces and roll them into balls. Flatten each ball into a 5 inch disc, forming it with your hands.
- On a large baking sheet covered with parchment paper, place the discs 1-inch or more apart. Cover and allow to rise in a warm place for 15 minutes, while preheating the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Bake 8-10 minutes, or until lightly browned. Cool on rack before serving.