Years ago I took a cooking course at an Adventist community center, and this recipe for Swedish meatballs is one of the Adventist recipes I learned. I have clarified my original post a bit.
Makes about 24 (1″) meatballs.
- 1 c fine dry breadcrumbs
- 1/2 c walnuts, finely chopped
- 1 tsp basil
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 c cottage cheese
- 1/2 c cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1-10 oz can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1/2 c milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and oil an 11 x 7 x 2″ baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, mix breadcrumbs, walnuts, basil, thyme, nutmeg, and salt.
- In a large bowl, lightly beat eggs. Add cottage cheese and cheddar cheese.
- Add the breadcrumb mixture and blend well.
- Using clean hands, form 24 meatballs that are about an inch in diameter; place them in the prepared baking dish (close together, but not touching.)
- Whisk together the condensed mushroom soup and milk until smooth. Pour evenly over the meatballs.
- Bake uncovered for 40 minutes. Serve hot or warm.