Tofu Seafood Sticks
Using dulse flakes, or other flaked seaweed or nori, can add a seafood flavor to tofu. I like to serve these snack sticks at room temperature or chilled with hot sauce or tartar sauce.
- 14-16 oz extra firm tofu
- 3 Tbsp vegetable oil (divided use)
- 1/2 c chickpea flour
- 1 tsp dulse flakes
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- Drain and cut the tofu into sticks that are about 3 inches by 1/2 inch by 1/2 inch. Set them on paper towels to drain for about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile preheat oven to 400 degrees F and heavily oil a 13 x 9 x 2 inch baking dish with 2 tablespoons of the oil.
- In a shallow bowl, blend the chickpea flour, dulse flakes, salt and pepper.
- Coat the sticks in the chickpea mixture on all sides and place them on the oiled baking dish with a bit of space around each. Brush the tops of the tofu sticks with the remaining tablespoon of oil.
- Bake 15 minutes. Remove from oven and turn over carefully. Return to oven and bake another 15 minutes, or until lightly browned on all sides. If desired sprinkle with more dulse and salt.
- Cool 30 minutes or chill and serve with hot sauce, tartar sauce, or cocktail sauce. Refrigerate unused portion.