Sweet Rolls with Cheese Filling
Lighter in texture and lower in fat than Cheese Danishes, these sweet rolls are just as delicious and make a wonderful snack with a cup of tea or coffee.
Makes about 24 small sweet rolls.
- 1/2 c powdered sugar
- 8 oz cream cheese (room temperature)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 Tbsp grated lemon zest
- 1 egg
- 5-6 c unbleached all purpose flour (divided use)
- 4 1/2 tsp active dry yeast (2 packets)
- 3/4 c sugar (divided use)
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 c butter (room temperature)
- 1 1/2 c warm water
- 2 eggs (room temperature)
- In a medium bowl, blend the powdered sugar and cream cheese until very smooth.
- Add vanilla, lemon zest and egg. Blend again until smooth.
- Refrigerate until used.
Dough and Baking:
- In the large bowl of a stand mixer with whisk attachment, place 2 cups of the flour, the yeast, 1/2 cup of the sugar, and salt. Mix on low for one minute.
- Add butter and mix on low until it looks mealy.
- Add warm water and beat on medium for 2 minutes.
- Add eggs and 1 more cup of flour; beat another minute.
- Change to a dough book attachment. (If you do not have dough hook, remove the bowl from the mixer and continue by hand.)
- Add another cup of flour; beat until well combined.
- Gradually add as much of the remaining flour (if any) that it takes to make a soft dough that comes together.
- Knead dough 5 minutes by machine or by hand.
- Cover dough and allow to rest 20 minutes.
- Divide dough into 12 balls and cover while proceeding with recipe.
- Using a rolling pin, roll one ball into an approximate 10 x 4 inch strip. Cut in half lengthwise, forming two long strips.
- Twist one strip into a rope; coil the rope around itself, forming a round sweet roll. Tuck the end under the roll and place it on a large baking sheet that has been lined with parchment paper. Work in the same way with second strip.
- Repeat with remaining dough balls, leaving 1 1/2 inches between each roll, and working in batches.
- Spoon a rounded tablespoon of cheese filling onto the center of each roll, without pressing filling down.
- Loosely cover the pans with wax paper and allow to stand 45 minutes, while preheating oven to 375 degrees F.
- Bake about 14 minutes, or until browned but not too dark on the bottoms. Cool on wire rack.
- Serve warm or cooled. Wrap leftovers well and use within a day or so. May also be individually wrapped in wax paper and placed in a ziplock bag in the freezer. Thaw just a few minutes before use.