Spicy Hush Puppies
These hush puppies go great with any Southern (American) style meal, but they are also wonderful as an appetizer or snack. Serve with salsa or Cucumber Sauce.
- 2 c yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 c all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 c milk
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 pasilla pepper, cut in small dice
- 1 jalapeno pepper, cut in small dice
- 1/4 c sliced green onion tops
- vegetable oil for deep-fat frying
- In a large bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, baking powder and salt. Whisk the egg, milk and onion; add to dry ingredients just until combined.
- Fold in the pasilla peppers, jalapeno peppers, and green onions.
- In a heavy pot with a candy thermometer attached, bring the oil to about 360-400 degrees F over medium heat.
- Using two kitchen teaspoons, place rounded batter on one teaspoon and push it off into the hot oil (carefully) with the other. (Fry 6-8 hush puppies at a time.)
- Fry 2-1/2 minutes, turning over with a slotted spoon, until brown on both sides. Drain in a metal sieve or on paper towels.
- Repeat until all batter is fried. (Make sure oil returns to full heat in between batches.)
- Serve hot or warm, with salsa or cucumber sauce.