Baked Veggie Egg RollsThese veggie egg rolls are less oily than the fried ones, and loaded with nutrition and flavor! Dip them in my Spicy Sweet and Sour Sauce!
Makes about 20 egg rolls.
- 1 Tbsp toasted sesame seed oil
- 1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 c shredded carrots (about 3 medium)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-inch knob ginger root, minced
- 4 Tbsp water (divided use)
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 c shredded summer squash or zucchini
- 4 c shredded kale or similar greens
- 1 Tbsp chicken style vegetarian broth mix
- 1 Tbsp corn starch
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 lb egg roll wrappers (about 20)
- In a large heavy pot over medium heat, warm the sesame seed oil. Saute the onion and carrots two minutes. Add garlic and ginger and saute another 30 seconds.
- Pour in 2 tablespoons of the water, the soy sauce and rice vinegar; stir well.
- Add the squash and kale on top, cover and simmer 2 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the broth mix, corn starch, salt, and remaining 2 tablespoons of water. Pour this slurry into the vegetable mixture and stir until thickened.
- Remove cover and take pot off burner. Cool 15 minutes or more.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and place the 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil in a small bowl near your work surface. Brush some of the oil on a large baking sheet until fully oiled.
- Place an egg roll wrapper on your work surface, with one point of the wrapper facing you. Place 2 rounded tablespoons of the cooled filling in the center of the wrapper, forming a "log" shape. Fold bottom point up, side points in, and roll towards the top. Moisten the top point with a bit of water on your finger.
- Place the filled egg roll on the baking sheet, point-side down. Brush the top with vegetable oil.
- Repeat this process until all 20 egg rolls are prepared and oiled.
- Bake 10 minutes, remove from oven and flip egg rolls over. Return to oven and bake another 5 minutes or until browned on both sides.
- Transfer egg rolls to a cooling rack and allow to stand 5 minutes before serving with Wasabi sauce and/or my Spicy Sweet and Sour Sauce.