Millet and Spinach Pilaf
This dish may be made with pantry and freezer items, even when you are low on fresh produce. The millet seeds offer a nutty flavor which complements the spinach and lemon in this wonderful side dish.
- 1/2 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 c dry millet
- 1/2 c chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp dried mint
- 1 tsp dry dill
- 3 c vegetable broth, hot
- 1 (10 oz) package frozen chopped spinach
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/3 c chopped toasted almonds
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- In a 2-quart or larger, heavy pot over medium heat, melt the butter in the olive oil.
- Add millet and onion; sauté 3 minutes. Add garlic, mint, and dill; sauté another 30 seconds.
- Stir in the hot broth, spinach, salt and pepper. Bring to boiling and break up frozen spinach. Reduce heat, stir, and cover; simmer 30 minutes.
- Add almonds and lemon juice. Fluff with a fork and serve hot.