Grilled Whole Fava Bean Pods
These lovely fava beans grill up nicely, whether on a fire pit, charcoal barbecue, or a grill pan on your stove. They are tender and full of flavor.
- 2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 10 oz whole fresh fava bean pods
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded, cut in thick long strips
- 1 small yellow summer squash, cut in thick long strips
- 1/8 tsp oregano leaves
- 1/8 tsp red chili pepper flakes
- 1/8 tsp coarse salt
- 1/8 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
- Oil a grill or grill pan with one tablespoon of the oil.
- In a large bowl, toss the fava bean pods, bell pepper strips and yellow squash strips with the remaining tablespoon of olive oil.
- Grill the vegetables over high heat for about 8 minutes, turning midway, until softened and charred in spots.
- Sprinkle with oregano, red chili pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Place back in bowl; toss well.
- Transfer to serving dish. Garnish with lemon or lime slices. Serve hot or at room temperature.