- 2 Tbsp peanut butter
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp browning sauce (Kitchen Bouquet)
- 1/8 tsp granulated garlic
- 1- 14 oz carton extra firm tofu, rinsed and drained on a towel for 30 minutes
- 1 Tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 1 Tbsp butter or margarine
- 8 oz fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 1/2 c water
- 1 Tbsp corn starch
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1/8 tsp black pepper, ground
- In a large deep dish, mix together the peanut butter, oil, soy sauce, and granulated garlic. Stir with a fork or whisk until it makes a smooth marinade. Cut the tofu into 2 x 1 x 1/2 inch pieces and add them carefully to the marinade. Turn over until all sides are dipped. Cover the dish and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil and oil the lining. Place the marinated tofu pieces in a single layer on the sheet and bake 10 minutes. Turn and bake another 10 minutes.
- While the tofu is cooking make the sauce. In a large skillet, heat the oil and butter over a medium flame. Saute the mushrooms for a few minutes, until deepened in color. In a small bowl, whisk together the water, corn starch, soy sauce and pepper. Add this to the skillet and continue to whisk until smooth and beginning to bubble.
- Arrange the tofu pieces on a bed of rice or noodles and pour the sauce on top. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve hot.