- 32 oz sauerkraut (Bavarian or plain style) with liquid
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 Tbsp butter or margarine (divided use)
- 6 slices vegetarian bacon strips such as those by MorningStar Farms
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 15 oz canned diced tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp oregano leaves
- 1/4 tsp white pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 Tbsp dry parsley
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- salt as needed
- In a large skillet, cook vegetarian bacon strips in one tablespoon of the butter over medium low, turning frequently until crisp but not burned. Set aside on paper towels.
- In the same skillet, heat the remaining tablespoon of butter and the olive oil.
- Add onion; saute over medium high heat, until lightly browned and translucent.
- Add sauerkraut and mix well.
- Add the tomatoes, oregano, white pepper, bay leaves, parsley, brown sugar, and salt to taste.
- Once the mixture bubbles around the edges, cover it and simmer for 20-25 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving bowl; remove bay leaves and arrange veggie bacon on top before serving. (The veggie bacon may be cut in bite sized pieces first if desired.)
This dish goes well with mashed potatoes or rye bread.