- 1/2 block extra firm tofu (about 6 oz)
- 1/2 tsp seasoned salt
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 4 Tbsp olive oil, divided use
- 1/2 medium onion, roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp dry basil
- 1/2 tsp dry oregano
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 c water
- 1 bell pepper (any color) chopped in 1/2 inch dice
- 2 plum tomatoes, finely chopped or 8 oz canned diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 medium bottle gourd (opo) squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 Tbsp Parmesan cheese, grated
- Rinse tofu thoroughly and cut into 1/4 inch dice.
- Drain on clean kitchen towel for at least 30 minutes.
- Pat dry and toss in bowl with seasoned salt and paprika.
- Heat 2 Tbsp olive oil in large skillet over medium heat and add tofu.
- Brown on all sides and put aside in bowl.
- Add remaining 2 Tbsp oil to skillet and add onion, sauteing until lightly browned (about 3 minutes).
- Add garlic, basil, oregano and salt and saute another minute to release flavors.
- Add water, bell pepper, tomatoes, and bottle gourd squash and stir well. Cover and simmer over low flame for 8 minutes.
- Add tofu; saute uncovered until all the liquid is absorbed, stirring often.
- Serve warm with a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese.