These main dish vegetable cakes have plenty of protein from the wheat germ and eggs. They have a wonderful flavor and can be served with greens or put in buns with cheese and all the fixings on top.
- 1 large chayote, unpeeled and shredded (about 2 1/2 cups)
- 1 large potato, unpeeled and shredded (about 2 1/2 cups)
- 1 jalapeno pepper, minced
- 1 Tbsp granulated onion
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/3 c corn flake crumbs
- 1/3 c raw wheat germ
- 1 Tbsp nutritional yeast (optional)
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp celery seed
- 1 tsp dry dill
- 1 tsp coarse kosher salt or 1/2 tsp finely ground salt
- olive oil
- Shred chayote and potato on a box grater.
- Mix in jalapeno, onion, eggs, corn flake crumbs, wheat germ, spices, and salt.
- Fry on an oiled or sprayed hot griddle (about 375 degrees) or do 2 batches in a large oiled skillet.
- Drop chayote/potato mixture by about 1/2 cup per cake, and form it into a disk shape with a spoon.
- Fry on both sides until light brown.
- Serve with tartar sauce or salsa.