This is a basic recipe that is great to have in your repertoire. It is economical, tasty and easy to make. Good hot, cold, or at room temperature, it makes a great snack or lunchbox addition.
- 1-12 oz carton extra firm tofu
- 1 c long grain white rice
- 2 c water
- 2 tsp roasted sesame oil (divided use)
- 1 large bunch scallions, sliced
- Tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp rice vinegar
- freshly ground black pepper
- Drain and rinse the tofu. Cut it into quarter-inch dice. Set on clean towel to dry for a few minutes.
- Rinse rice several times, or until the water runs off clear. Place in small saucepan with the water and bring to boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to lowest setting and cover. Simmer about 15 minutes. Leave covered and allow to stand off burner 5 minutes; fluff with a fork.
- In large skillet over medium heat, warm 1 teaspoon of the oil. Brown tofu without disturbing it for about 2 minutes. Turn, repeat. Remove to a large bowl.
- In same skillet on medium setting, heat remaining oil. Saute green onions 2-3 minutes. Place in bowl; add rice, soy sauce, vinegar and pepper. Toss and fluff. Serve hot, at room temperature, or cold.