- 1/2 c dried yellow split peas
- 1 Tbsp margarine or butter
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp savory
- 4 c chicken style vegetarian broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 drops Liquid Smoke
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice (optional)
- Wash and sort split peas. Place them in a pot with a quart of water and bring them to a boil.
- Turn off heat, cover, and allow to stand and soften for one hour.
- Heat butter and oil over medium low in a heavy 2-quart or larger pot. Saute onion, celery and carrot for about 5 minutes until soft.
- Add garlic, thyme, savory, and drained split peas and saute one minute.
- Pour in the chicken style broth; add bay leaf, smoke flavoring, salt and pepper. Bring to boil and reduce heat to low.
- Cover and simmer for about 45 minutes.
- Uncover and simmer another 10 minutes, or until peas are tender and partially dissolve into the soup. (For finer consistency, puree with hand blender.)
- If desired, stir in lemon juice just before serving.