Recipes often call for a packet of Lipton’s Onion Soup Mix or a similar dry mix, however the store-bought product may contain additives, meat products, and/or high levels of sodium. Here is an inexpensive, vegetarian substitute for the dry packets.
Equivalent to 3 packets onion soup mix.
(1/4 c = 1 packet onion soup mix)
- 1/2 c dried onion flakes
- 1/4 c vegan chicken style broth mix
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp celery seed, crushed
- 1/2 tsp dry parsley (optional)
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- Stir together.
- Place in a tightly sealed container and store away from light and heat for up to 6 months.
- Stir or shake well before each use.