Here is a version of chicken noodle soup that is totally vegetarian, yet just as tasty as the traditional version. Use any chicken flavored seitan or textured vegetable protein (TVP or TSP) soaked in hot chicken style broth for 15 minutes.
- 1-2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 2-3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp poultry seasoning
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 6 c vegetarian chicken style broth (reconstituted Chik-Nish Seasoning or similar)
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 c cut green beans, fresh or frozen
- 2 c vegetarian chicken style seitan, coarsely chopped
- 1/3 c parsley, minced
- 1 1/2 c wide egg noodles, dry
- In a large heavy saucepan or pot, heat the oil on medium high, and add the celery and onion. Saute 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic, poultry seasoning, turmeric, coriander, bay leaf and black pepper. Saute another minute.
- Add the broth, carrots, green beans, seitan, and parsley and bring to a boil.
- Turn heat down to lowest setting, cover and simmer 12 minutes.
- Stir in the noodles and cook uncovered on medium for another 7 minutes or until the noodles are tender, stirring a few times.
- Serve hot with a crusty bread.