This fusion recipe has a creamy texture and exotic flavor. It makes a great start to a vegetarian meal, or it can serve as the entree with a pasta salad and bread on the side.
Makes about 10 cups.
- 1 jalapeño pepper
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 yellow onions, chopped
- 5-6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp mirin rice wine
- 6 c water
- 3 medium summer squash, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 Tbsp zaatar (optional)
- 1/2 Tbsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 c pecorino Romano cheese, grated
- 1 c plain yogurt
- Roast the jalapeño pepper. Remove seeds and mince it. Set it aside.
- In a large pot over medium heat, warm the oil. Add onions and sauté until they become dry. Then lower the heat and stir frequently until caramelized (about 40 minutes).
- Add garlic and jalapeño pepper; sauté another minute.
- Deglaze the pan with Mirin wine. Add water, summer squash, bay leaf, zaatar, turmeric, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a simmer on medium high. Reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes.
- Stir in the cheese and yogurt. Remove the bay leaf.
- Use a food mill or an immersion blender to puree the soup, or, working in batches, use a stand blender. (When using a stand blended on hot foods, always be sure to leave the top vent open and place a clean towel firmly over it.)
- Serve hot with a crusty bread on the side.