I used iceberg lettuce in this soup and was surprised that it tasted like escarole (which I love) when cooked. Any lettuce may be used though. Delicious!
- 2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp dry tarragon (or use dill)
- 1 Tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 3 c vegetarian chicken style broth
- 12 c lettuce, torn or chopped
- 6 Tbsp whole milk, evaporated milk or half ‘n half
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- In a large pot over medium heat, warm the oil and melt butter in it. Saute onions and carrots for 8 minutes.
- Add garlic, tarragon, and parsley; saute another 1-2 minutes.
- Add broth and lettuce. Bring to a simmer, reduce heat then cook uncovered for 20 minutes, stirring often. (If broth gets too low, add a bit more.)
- Add milk and salt. Warm the soup a couple of minutes. Serve hot.