This soup uses two of my favorite seasonings/broth mixes, Vegeta and McKay’s Chicken Style Instant Broth and Seasoning. It makes a very creamy, yet low-fat version of Potato Corn Chowder.
- 2 ears of corn
- 1 bunch parsley
- 6-8 sprigs fresh sage (hold one back for garnishing)
- 4 c water
- 4 Tbsp butter, divided use
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground white pepper
- 1 red or orange bell pepper, cut in 1/4 inch dice
- 2 large red potatoes, peeled and cut in 1/4 inch dice
- 1 – 12 oz can evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup instant non-fat milk powder
- 1 tsp Vegeta Gourmet Seasoning and Soup Mix (or vegetable bouillon)
- 2 tsp McKay’s Chicken Style Instant Broth and Seasoning (or vegetable bouillon)
- Cut the corn kernels off the cobs and set aside.
- Break the cobs in half and place them in a large pot with the parsley, sage and water. Allow to reach a boil, lower heat and cover; simmer 15 minutes.
- Strain the broth and return to large kettle. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, saute the onion in 3 Tbsp of the butter until soft.
- Add the flour, salt and white pepper and stir a minute until incorporated. Set aside.
- In the large pot with the broth, add bell pepper, potatoes, evaporated milk, powdered milk and Vegeta. Stir constantly over medium heat until nearly scalding.
- Lower heat and simmer 6 minutes, stirring often.
- Add the onion mixture and stir until thick and smooth.
- Remove from flame and add McKay’s seasoning and remaining Tbsp of butter.
- Serve immediately, or hold in a crock pot on low.
If you reheat this soup, you may need to add a bit of water, as it thickens as it cools. This soup may be garnished with a finely sliced sage leaves.