Make this soup as spicy or as mild as you please, it will still be a delicious, healthy and warming meal. Serve with hot tortillas or rolls.
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 serano chili pepper, seeded, minced
- 1 c crushed tomatoes
- 2 c refried beans
- 5 c water
- 1 medium carrot, peeled, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp dry cilantro (or 1 Tbsp fresh)
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 c dry elbow macaroni
- In a large heavy pot or Dutch oven, warm oil on medium low. Add onion and saute until browned and tender (about 5 minutes).
- Add celery, garlic and serrano chili; saute another minute.
- Stir in the tomatoes, refried beans, water, carrot, cilantro, cumin, bay leaf, salt and pepper. Bring to boil on high heat.
- Stir in the macaroni. Reduce heat to medium and simmer, stirring often, for 12 minutes or until carrots and macaroni are tender.
- Allow to stand a few minutes before serving. Sprinkle with grated Coteja or Parmesan cheese if desired.