With seasoned tomatoes so readily available now, a home-cooked stew like this is easy to make. I used Red Gold Diced Tomatoes with Basil, Garlic and Oregano, but anything similar would be fine.
- 1/4 c all purpose flour
- 1 tsp Old Bay seasoning
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 c firm seitan, cut in bite-sized pieces
- 1-28 oz can diced tomatoes with basil, garlic and oregano
- 1-12 oz package frozen lima beans
- 1 c water
- 1/4 c minced parsley
- 1 Tbsp vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- In a shallow bowl, blend flour, Old Bay seasoning, salt and pepper. Dredge the seitan in the flour mixture and shake off excess.
- In a large skillet on a medium-low setting, heat the oil. Add the seitan and brown them about 5 minutes, turning them over once or twice.
- Place the seitan in a 2 quart or larger crockpot. Add remaining ingredients.
- Cook on high for 5 hours. Serve hot with a crusty bread.