I use the leaves, stems and peeled bulb of the kohlrabi in making this delicious vegan chowder. The corn rounds can be eaten most easily by lifting with your soup spoon and eating around the cob.
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp chickpea flour
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 4 c chicken-style veg broth
- 3 c chopped whole kohlrabi
- 1 ear corn, shucked, cut in 1 rounds
- 1 (15 oz) can chickpeas, rinsed, drained
- 1 c coconut milk
- 1 tsp Mexican saffron (safflower)
- In a large, heavy pot over medium low heat, melt the coconut oil. Add onions and garlic; sauté 5-7 minutes.
- Add mixture of chickpea flour, turmeric, allspice, cumin, salt, and pepper. Stir 30 seconds.
- Pour in vegetable broth, kohlrabi, corn, and chickpeas. Bring to boil. Reduce heat, partially cover and simmer 35 minutes, stirring a few times.
- Stir in the coconut milk and safflower. Heat briefly. Serve hot.