Makes 2 quarts.
- 2 1/2 pounds green tomatoes
- 1 c all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1/4 c buttermilk
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 c parsley, minced
- 2 1/2 c Italian style dry fine bread crumbs
- 1 c vegetable oil
- Wash, dry and cut the green tomatoes in 1/4-inch slices.
- Set up a shallow bowl (pie plate or the like) with a mixture of all purpose flour, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper.
- Set up a second shallow bowl with the eggs, buttermilk, oregano and parsley. Mix well.
- Set up a third shallow bowl with the Italian bread crumbs.
- Dip each tomato slice in the flour mixture, then the egg mixture, and lastly the bread crumbs. Place in a holding bowl and set aside.
- Heat a third-cup of the oil in a 10 inch heavy skillet over medium heat, and set up a wire rack over a large baking sheet for draining the fried tomatoes.
- Add enough of the breaded tomatoes to loosely cover the bottom of the skillet. Brown on one side, turn, and brown the other side. Remove to the wire rack to drain.
- Add another third-cup oil to the skillet and repeat. Repeat a third time, or until all the tomatoes are browned.
- Serve warm or at room temperature, plain or with marinara dipping sauce.