This Southern American dish makes a tasty side dish, especially with Red Beans and Rice.
- 2 c yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 c all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 c milk
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- vegetable oil for deep-fat frying
- In a large bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, baking powder and salt. Whisk the egg, milk and onion; add to dry ingredients just until combined.
- In a heavy pot over medium heat, bring the oil to about 360 degrees F. Drop batter by teaspoonfuls into oil.
- Fry 2 to 2-1/2 minutes or until golden brown. Drain on in a metal sieve or on paper towels.
- Serve warm.