My talented daughter developed this recipe for a family dinner. We all loved it and couldn’t get enough! These bread sticks go especially well with spaghetti or other Italian dishes.
Makes about 40 bread sticks.
- 1 c all purpose flour
- 1 c white soft whole wheat flour ( or any whole wheat flour)
- 1/4 c sourdough starter
- 1 tsp instant dry yeast
- 1 1/2 Tbsp honey
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- warm water (110 degrees F)
- Put both flours, sourdough starter, yeast, honey, salt and olive oil in the large bowl of a stand mixer.
- Using a dough hook, beat on low while adding enough warm water to make a soft dough. Continue to beat until the dough climbs the dough hook.
- Place dough in a greased bowl and allow to rise about 45 minutes (may not double).
- Using a rolling pin, roll dough out on a lightly floured surface until 1/8 inch thick. Cut dough into long thin bread sticks (makes about 40) and place an inch apart on large baking sheet(s) that have been covered with parchment paper.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F while allowing bread sticks to rise a bit.
- Bake 14 minutes, turn pan(s) around and bake another 14 minutes.
- Turn oven off and leave baking sheets in oven for 15 minutes with oven door cracked open.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.