Low in fat and high in protein, this sauce makes an excellent dip for raw vegetable sticks or chips. It is also delicious served with flatbread or traditional dishes such as Persian Potato Cakes (Kookoo).
Makes about 2 cups.
- 1 c minced cucumber (Persian or other)
- 1 c non-fat plain yogurt (Mid-Eastern style or other thick yogurt)
- 1/4 c minced onion
- 1 tsp grated garlic
- 1 tsp mint, minced (fresh or dry)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- a few shreds of saffron (optional)
- Peel cucumber(s) and cut in half lengthwise. Scrape out the seeds with a spoon and finely chop the cucumber.
- In a medium bowl, mix the cucumber, yogurt, onion, garlic, mint, salt, and saffron. Cover and refrigerate an hour or more for flavors to blend.