This easy sauce packs a lot of heat, but also a lot of flavor. It is the closest to genuine Mexican hot sauce I have found.
Makes about one cup.
- 5 dry chiles de arbol
- 2 cloves garlic
- 20 dry chiltepin peppers
- 1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
- 1/4 c water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Toast the chiles de arbol in a dry pan over medium heat for 30 seconds, turning a few times. Cool briefly and remove stems.
- Place chiles arboles, garlic, chiltepin peppers, tomato sauce, water, and salt in a blender.
- Process until smooth. Use sparingly on burritos, tacos and any other Mexican dish.
- Store excess in refrigerator for up to one week.