This potato salad is unlike any other I’ve had, but it’s really delicious. It is perfect for a hot summer day!
Makes about 6 cups.
- 2 large purple turnips
- 2 large russet potatoes
- 1 1/4 tsp salt (divided use)
- 1 carrot, peeled, coarsely shredded
- 1/2 c cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 c onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 c dill pickles, chopped
- 2 Tbsp bottled jalapeños, chopped
- 1 tsp rosemary, minced
- 2 hard-boiled eggs (divided use)
- 1/3 c mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar, packed
- 1 Tbsp yellow prepared mustard
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Peel and dice the turnips and potatoes in bite-sized pieces. Place in large pot and cover with water. Stir in 1 teaspoon of the salt and bring to boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes, or until just tender. Drain well and place back in pot.
- Add remaining quarter-teaspoon salt, carrot, cilantro, onion, dill pickles, jalapeños, rosemary, and one of the hard-boiled egg, chopped. (Slice the remaining egg and use on top of salad as garnish.)
- In a small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, brown sugar, yellow mustard, and black pepper. Add this dressing to the pot and blend fully.
- Transfer salad to a serving bowl and garnish with the sliced egg and a sprig of rosemary. Cover tightly and chill at least a few hours before serving.