The hulled buckwheat in this herbaceous salad is tender and delicious, and the dressing hits all the right notes.
Makes about 7 cups.
- 1 c hulled whole buckwheat grain
- 2 1/2 c boiling water
- 2 c tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 c cucumbers, seeded and chopped
- 1 c bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 c green onions, sliced
- 1 c fresh parsley, chopped
- 3 Tbsp fresh lemon
- 1/4 c olive oil
- 1 Tbsp tahini
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 1 tsp dry mint
- 1 tsp dry dill
- 1 tsp dry rosemary
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, add the buckwheat to the boiling water and bring back to boiling. Cover, reduce heat to lowest setting, and simmer 15-20 minutes, or until all the water is absorbed and the buckwheat is tender. Set aside and cool.
- In a 2 quart covered dish, toss the tomato, cucumber, bell pepper, green onion, parsley and cooled buckwheat.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients.
- Pour dressing over the salad. Toss well. Serve immediately, or better yet, refrigerate a few hours before serving.