Buying baking mixes at the store (such as Bisquick or Jiffy Mix) can be expensive. Here is a way to cut the cost and have a healthful product.
Makes about 10 cups.
- 4 c all-purpose flour
- 2 c whole wheat flour
- 1 c buttermilk powder
- 2 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 1/2 c vegetable shortening
- Mix all purpose flour, whole wheat flour, buttermilk powder, baking powder, cream of tartar, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl.
- Cut in shortening with a pastry blender until mixture resembles fine crumbs
- Store mixture in airtight container in the refrigerator up to 6 months.
- Use in any recipe calling for baking mix. Pack loosing in measuring cup. (Try this in my recipe for Raisin Scones!)