This is such a simple, easy way to add high-quality protein to a vegan diet. The ground sumac adds a bit of welcome acidity to the smoky flavors.
- 1 (14-16 oz) block of extra firm tofu
- 3 Tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp ground sumac
- 1/2 tsp ground red pepper
- Cut the tofu into 1/3 inch small slices. Arrange the slices on a clean kitchen towel and cover with another clean towel. Place a tray on top of the tofu, and weight it down with a heavy object. Allow to stand one hour. Pat dry.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, mix together the remaining ingredients.
- Brush a baking sheet with the mixture. Lay the tofu slices on top and brush them with the remaining marinade.
- Bake 20 minutes, or until dry on top. Remove to a serving platter and serve with parsley potatoes and vegetables.