These vegan sausage crumbles may be used in omelets, casseroles, and in my quick and easy Mac’n Cheese Broccoli Dinner’.
- 1 c old-fashioned oats
- 1/4 c fine semolina
- 1 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp rubbed sage
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika*
- 1/2 tsp sumac (optional)
- 1/4 tsp fenugreek
- 1/4 tsp ground fennel
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 c boiling water
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the oats, semolina, nutritional yeast, sage, smoked paprika, fenugreek, fennel, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper until well-combined.
- Stir in the boiling water until uniform in texture. Allow to stand ten minutes.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Use a kitchen teaspoon to scoop up the oat mixture. Push it off the spoon and into the hot oil with another teaspoon. Continue until all the oat mixture is in the hot skillet.
- Continue to stir, turn, and break the mixture into smaller bits with a teaspoon, cooking 10 minutes, or until the crumbles lose most of their stickiness and become browned.
- Turn heat off, and leave crumbles in the pan to dry out for 15 minutes or more. Use crumbles immediately in recipes or store, tightly covered in the refrigerator, and use within a week. May also be frozen and stored up to 3 months.
*(may substitute plain paprika plus 3 drops liquid smoke)