These tasty beans will become a staple in your house, once you find out how easy they are to make and how economical too!
Makes 4-5 cups refried beans.
- 1 pound dry pinto beans
- 6 c water
- 1/4 c vegetable oil
- 1 jalapeno chili pepper (dried or fresh)
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1/2 tsp Mexican oregano
- 2-3 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
- Sort and rinse beans, checking for any pebbles or debris. Place in a 10-cup or larger crockpot (slow cooker).
- Add water and turn on low for 8 hours or overnight.
- Add remaining ingredients, leaving the jalapeno chili pepper and the garlic whole. Turn up to high and cook 3 hours or until the beans are very tender.
- Remove stem on the chili pepper. Skim off excess cooking liquid, leaving at least one cup in the beans. (Reserve liquid in case it is needed and use remainder in soups and other recipes.)
- Using a potato ricer, mash everything until it is the consistency you prefer. Serve hot. Refrigerate unused portion, and reheat later, adding more water or cooking liquid as needed.