To use wheat berries or Khorasan wheat in a casserole, they need to be a bit more tender than the chewy sort used in a salad. Here’s how to get them to be more digestible.
Makes about 3 cups.
- 1 c dry wheat berries or Khorasan wheat
- 8 c water plus more for cooking
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- Rinse wheat berries and place them in a large pot with the water. Allow to stand overnight or 8 hours to soften.
- Bring to boil uncovered. Reduce heat to simmering level and simmer for about 2 hours, adding more boiling water every half-hour or so and stirring. (Pot should be uncovered.)
- Add salt and oil. Cook another hour, again monitoring the water level and stirring often. Drain and use in baked wheat berry or Khorasan wheat berry recipes.