Annatto is made from the fruit of the achiote tree. It has a wonderful earthy flavor, a bright orange color, and goes well in this simple vegetarian stove-top meal.
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 tsp annatto powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 c dry long grain white rice
- 1 c water
- 1-15 oz can diced tomatoes
- 5 vegetarian frankfurters, sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- In a large heavy skillet or pot, heat the oil on medium. Add onion and bell pepper and saute about 4 minutes.
- Add garlic, annatto, paprika, cayenne, salt and black pepper. Saute another minute.
- Add the rice, water, tomatoes with their juice, franks, and bay leaf. Stir well, be sure all of the rice is submerged, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer about 25 minutes or until the rice is tender, stirring once midway. Spoon into bowls and serve hot.