- 1 dry ancho chili
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 c onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp dry oregano
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 c fresh or canned tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 c refried beans, homemade or canned
- 1/2 c frozen corn kernels, thawed and drained (or use fresh or canned)
- 1 c shredded sharp cheddar cheese (divided use)
Corn Bread Topping:
- 1/2 c cornmeal
- 1/2 c all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 1/2 c buttermilk
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 1/4 c corn, drained
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Soak the ancho chili in boiling water for 20 minutes, drain and finely chop.
- In a large skillet over medium low heat, saute the onion and ancho pepper for about 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic, oregano, chili powder and salt and saute another 30 seconds.
- Pour in the tomatoes and saute 3 minutes, or until the tomatoes break down when gently pressed and the mixture is well blended.
- Add the refried beans and mix well.
- Spread this mixture in the bottom of a 9 inch pie pan or in a 9 x 9 x 2 inch baking dish.
- Sprinkle with corn and 1/2 cup of the cheddar cheese and set aside.
- Prepare the corn bread topping by blending the cornmeal, flour, baking powder and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- In a smaller bowl, beat the egg lightly and blend in the buttermilk, honey and corn.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the flour mixture and stir just until you see no more dry ingredients.
- Spoon evenly on top of the bean mixture and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Bake 30 minutes, or until golden brown on top.
- Serve with sour cream and chopped green onions.