A low-fat and easy way to enjoy the flavor of corn dogs without the fuss is by baking the sliced links in a cornmeal crust. Serve with a dollop of mustard.
- 1/2 c all purpose flour
- 1/2 c fine corn meal
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp white pepper, ground
- 1 egg
- 1/4 c creamed corn
- 1/4 c buttermilk
- 1 Tbsp butter or margarine, melted
- 6 vegetarian wieners such as Deli-Franks by Cedar Lake, sliced
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Butter an 8 inch round cake pan.
- In a medium bowl, blend the flour, corn meal, baking powder, mustard powder, paprika, salt and white pepper.
- In a small bowl beat the egg lightly and add the creamed corn, buttermilk, and melted butter.
- Blend the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients just until incorporated.
- Place the sliced wieners in an even layer in the bottom of the prepared pan.
- Spoon the corn meal mixture on top as evenly as possible and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the cornbread topping feels firm when lightly pressed.
- Cut into wedges and serve with prepared mustard if desired.