- 1 “Not-Beef” bouillon cube
- 1 c boiling water
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp cider vinegar
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp ginger powder
- 1/2 Tbsp corn starch
- 2 Tbsp cool water
- 2 c butternut squash, peeled, cubed (1″)
- 1 c TVP chunks (textured vegetable protein)
- 2 c water
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut in strips
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 inch ginger root, minced
- In a small saucepan, dissolve the bouillon cube in boiling water.
- Add soy sauce, brown sugar, cider vinegar, onion powder, garlic powder, and ginger powder. Whisk together over medium heat until bubbly.
- Dissolve the corn starch in the 2 tablespoons water. Whisk this slurry into the sauce and simmer until thick. Remove from flame and set aside.
Main Ingredients and Assembly:
- In a small pot, add the squash. Cover with water and bring to boil on medium heat. Reduce heat and simmer 7 minutes, or until tender. Drain and set aside.
- In a medium pot, place the TVP, water and salt. Bring to boil. Reduce and simmer 5 minutes. Rinse the TVP, drain, and press out excess water. Set aside.
- In a large, heavy pot over medium heat, add the vegetable oil. Stir in the onions, celery and bell pepper; saute 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and ginger; saute another minute.
- Pour in the Teriyaki Sauce, squash, and TVP. Stir and bring to simmer. Reduce heat and cover. Simmer 5 minutes.
- Serve hot with a sprinkling of sliced green onion tops. May be extended by serving over rice.